Topknot’s Diet and Juicing Guide:
F.A.Q and comments on my diet and juicing:
- What are you allowed to eat? Fruits, veggies, beans, nuts, legumes, and seeds. These things are called “micronutrients”, and I am on a micronutrient diet.
- What are you allowed to drink? Water, herbal, and/or tea with no caffine, and any juice that is made from fruits or veggies and just fruits or veggies, no sugar or sugar replacements, and no juice from concentrate.
- What can’t you eat? No milk or milk products, no cheese, no eggs, no salt, no sugar, no alcohol, no meat of any kind, nothing from an animal at all, nothing processed, nothing from concentrate, no bread, or grains of any kind, no tubers [like potatoes] and no corn [though I occasionally cheat on this and pop some popcorn from clean kernels and use olive oil to pop them in].
- So if you’re not eating sugar or sugar replacements, what do you use to sweeten things? Agave nectar.
- Why the hell are you doing this? Why such an extreme diet? Because nothing else I have tried has worked, and I realized I weighed almost 200 pounds and I am an inch short of 5 feet tall. Not a good look. I was tired of being embarrassed of my body and having such a hard time finding flattering, comfortable clothes. The photos from camping at Colin’s Lake and the ones from Gen’s wedding of me really put a fire under my ass.
- Do you really only drink juice and eat soup? Yup! With the occasional exception of baby carrots, apple slices, popcorn, a nice salad, and steamed veggies.
- How do you do that?! Don’t you miss food? I get plenty of food! Just think about it, most of my juices have at least one serving of greens, a whole apple, two bananas, and whatever other fruit I happen to have on hand, plus store bought juice to help it all become liquid. There’s often more than even that in a juice. Could you sit down and eat that much food three meals a day? I know I couldn’t! But I can fit all that in a single tall glass with juicing! Its convenient [unless you’re traveling], I suck at cooking “real food”, I love the tastes I can create with juices, they’re filling, and fun to make. Plus its fun to watch people make “Ewww” faces while I’m making something, then getting them to drink some, and watching as their face lights up because they LIKE IT! That being said, I don’t really miss “food” but sometimes I want to chew something. I covered that in the last question though. It helps a lot, I think, that I don’t have cable, and there for don’t have to see food commercials very often.
- What juicer would you recommend? I like my Ninja Express Chop in green. It’s not a real juicer but it does the job, only cost me about $20.00 American, and is relatively small and easy to pack when traveling.
- How about exercise? Yup! That’s important too, you need to move as much as you need to watch what you eat. And juicing gives me tons of energy! I walk every night, sometimes run, play a home version of the video game Dance Dance revolution, do jumping jacks, weight lifting, crunches, do bicycle kicks, play with my parent’s dogs, and do “girl” pushups.
- What was your starting weight? I was 199 pounds.
- How much have you lost so far? Well at my lowest point so far I was at 187. So the most I’ve lost is around 12 pounds [as of 09/10/2013].
- What changes have you noticed so far? The pants I bought two weeks ago that fit perfectly that are now 2 inches too large, and they are a size 18 and my stretchmarks are fading. When I saw some people I hadn’t seen in a while they rejoiced over my neck slimming down, my thinner face, and my “trimmer figure”.
- When did you start? I started the diet around August 20th and started juicing on September 23rd of 2013.
- What’s your goal? I would like to weigh around 110 pounds, a weight my doctor has approved as healthy for someone my size. I used to look like this. I WILL get there again.
- How long do you plan on doing this? Until I am at my goal wight.
- What then? I’ll slowly incorporate a few things back into my diet, like milk, eggs, cheese, and chicken. We’ll see how it goes from there.
- What about the holidays? What about all that yummy food and those delicious treats? All that stuff is coming up sooner than you think! I’m not sure yet! I’ll see what weight I’m at when we get there. I’ll probably just have very small portions of whatever is served as not to be rude. And I still plan on baking and cooking for the holidays and making spooky treats for Halloween for my friends and family to enjoy!
- Ewww! That stuff is green! That stuff is chunky! No, not “ewww”, don’t knock it till you try it!
- I still don’t get it. Sorry, that’s the best I can explain it to you! Maybe you should try it?